Krispy Kremes are my all time favourite doughnuts but I rarely have the chance to buy them. Last week I attempted to bake a batch leaving my comfort zone of cakes and cookies. There are a lot of steps to follow but the end result will be rewarding 🙂
Should roughly make 10-15
(This is an altered version from http://www.africanbites.com )
For the Doughnuts-
2 teaspoons of yeast
1/8 cup of lukewarm water
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/8 cup of butter
2 1/2 cups of flour
Any oil for frying
For the Icing Glaze-
1 tbsp of butter
1 cup of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
3 tablespoons of milk, slightly warmed
1. Combine yeast with lukewarm water in a standing mixer. Let it sit and dissolve for 5 minutes.
2. Heat milk in a microwaveable bowl, let it cool for around 2 minuets.
3. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 1 1/2 cups of flour to bowl with yeast in.
4. On medium speed mix mixture for around 2 minutes. Add the remaining cup of flour and continue mixing the dough with correct paddle.
5. Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover loosely with a cloth and let rise in a room area for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
6. Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a doughnut cutter or 2 different sized cookie cutters to cut into dough. Cover with cloth and leave for around 10-15 minuets.
7. Using a deep fryer or a large saucepan, pour vegetable oil until it is about 5cm high and turn to medium heat.
8. Carefully place doughnuts maybe 2-3 at a time into the hot pan of oil. Fry, turning once until they are a light golden brown colour. Drain on paper towels.
9. Melt the (room temperature) butter in a pan on low heat or in the microwave
10. Remove and stir with icing sugar and vanilla essence until mixture is well combined.
11. Then add milk until you are pleased with the consistency.
12. Dip doughnuts in glaze and let drip on the rack
Hope you enjoy, comment below if you baked these buff buff doughnuts!
Don’t forget to follow to get new posts delivered to YOUR email 🙂
Find me on:
Stay Fearless& Stay You, T x